Collecting the patient responsibility portion of your billing can be a challenge at any time of the year. However, it’s particularly difficult during the first quarter of the year as insurance deductibles reset.
With the start of a new year upon us, we’d like to share with you some tips from our proven service on how to collect more of your billables from patients.
Tips That Work!
- Our first and most important tip is to understand collections is the responsibility of your entire office, not just the billing department. Clinics viewing this as only a billing office issues will fail to maximize on their percent of recovered billing.
- The question you may be asking is how do we make collections a part of the entire team’s job? Creating a culture of education for your staff and patients is an important place to start.
- One of the most important tools to keep in the office toolbox is a written payment policy. A detailed account of payment expectations will leave little grey area for patients and it will make the “ask” easier for staff.
- Additionally, providing a script for staff to use will be beneficial. No one likes to ask for payment so provide polite but firm language that asks for payment in full.
- Verify insurance coverages before a visit and inform potential patients of their responsibilities in advance of their visit. It is a critical part of a successful business.
- Collect copays at the time of check-in.
- If you choose to create a payment plan for a patient, create a series of automated payments. If a planned payment declines, call the patient for new credit card information.
- Accept all payment forms. Make credit card payments, ACH, check, and cash options for self-pay patients and deductibles.
- Review frequently your outstanding payments from both insurance and patients.
- Stand-by your collections policy. When it’s time to move a patient to collections, do so.
What ORI Can Do – Our Promise
- ORI will save you 15% overall. Outsourcing saves money compared to keeping the billing in-house.
- ORI will maintain your over 90 days aging at no more than 10% of your overall billing.
- All charges and payments will be processed and placed in the system for payment within 48 hours of receipt from your office.
- Any denials or insurance rejections will be worked within 48 hours of receipt on average.
- ORI’s technology will be kept at a state-of-the-art level and current.
- 95% of patient calls will answered and any messages will be returned within 2 hours.
- Our medical billing experts will represent your clinic professionally while continually maintaining the goal of motivating your patients to make your bill a priority.
- We will answer your questions, resolve any issues you may have and complete any rebills we receive, either by telephone or email, within 48 hours.
- Your crucial business reports will be provided to you within 3 days of the final close date of the month.
Be sure to check our newsletter each month for new ideas, changes in the industry, and tips on how to get the most from your medical billing.